Wednesday 11 March 2009

Samsung NC10 and Ubuntu

Have been using my NC10 with Windows XP and finding it very handy to carry around - nice and light, long battery life and very quick start-up and shutdown. Finally took the plunge and installed Ubuntu 8.10 using Wubi to try it out.

Installation was a breeze - just download Wubi from http://wubi-installer.org/, run it, answer a few questions and it will connect to the internet and install the OS.

Once installed it worked well and my Logitech VX Nano Cordless mouse working without needing to make any changes or install any new drivers. Wireless networking, however, did not work at all. A quick search of the net led me to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NC10 and following their simple instructions - while using a wired connection to my router - wireless was up and running; it was working without needing to update /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to disable the old drivers but I went ahead and did that as well.

While at the Ubuntu Documentation Community Documentation NC10 site I saw the information on brightness control - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NC10. The display running Ubuntu had seemed very murky so I went ahead and followed the instructions for installing Ubunutu Tweak and configuring hot keys. I could then reduce the brightness using but could not increase the brightness. This was also covered in the instructions - just needed to disable the "auto" brightness feature in the BIOS (F2 at start-up) and now I have a nice bright screen when running Ubuntu.

Next step will be to try installing Virtual Box to see if I can run my Windows apps under Ubuntu/Virtual Box. If that works then I'll rebuild my NC10 to remove XP and boot Ubuntu directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment